Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcome Autumn And All of Your Fun




One of our favorite activities each fall is taking a trip out to Brosi Sugar Tree Farms to visit their pumpkin patch.  The kids always have so much fun there, even though the routine seems to stay the same: hayride, picking just the right pumpkin, navigating the corn maze, then back to the market stand for snacks and silly photo taking.  Here's a few of my favorite shots of the kids from the day.  Oh Autumn, how we love you! ♥

Halloween Teacher Treats 

One of the little things I like to do during each of the holidays throughout the year is make a little something for the kids' teachers, just a little way to say thank you for all of the work they do.  For this month I thought it would be fun to put together a little Halloween themed lollipop bouquet for each of them.  I found a cute idea at the blog Something From Cassie, along with lots of other crafty goodness.  Definitely a fun place to browse for ideas and just fun stuff to look at.  The idea is basically taking lollipops and dressing them up a bit to look like spiders...an idea that could easily be changed depending the season, they could be flowers, hearts, etc. 

Like many other projects this one is easier if you approach it like an assembly line once you decide on a design.  I pretty much loved her idea the way it was, so I went with that design and just a few small changes.  The supplies/tools I ended up using included my photo corner punch, craft glue, some wiggly eyes, my Cricut Create (or a scalloped circle punch if you have one), pop dots, a variety of patterned paper and cardstock, and lollipops to decorate.  I made sure to buy the flat ones vs the round ones, it just made things way easier to work with.  For the bouquet base I used some black bowls I found in Fred Meyers' Halloween section, floral foam as a base to hold the lollipops, and tissue to cover the foam. 


I cut a variety of  2" scalloped circles from cardstock and patterned paper for the body, and 1 1/2" solid black scalloped circles for the face, as well as a bunch of corner punches from solid black cardstock.  After that I simply layered the smaller circles onto the larger ones, flipped them over and glued some legs on the back, adhered them to the lollipop package using one of the foam adhesive circles, and then lastly added the eyes to front and set them aside to dry. 

After that I just put some floral foam into the bottom of a bowl, covered it with tissue, and poked the lollipops in.  You could easily skip the bouquet idea and just slip them into a treat bag or small gift bag too.  I didn't make a ton, because they do take some time and effort to make...just enough for a few small little treats each teacher can either display on her desk, or take home to enjoy.  I have been so lucky each year to have just great teachers for each of the kids, doing special little thank yous like this really becomes fun.  Here's a look at the finished bouquets: 


Supplies: Aleene's Original Tacky Glue; Recollections Foam Adhesive Circles; EK Success photo corner punch; My Mind's Eye "The Spiders Web" patterned 12 x 12 papers; Die Cuts With a View Premium Whitecore Cardstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment