Monday, January 26, 2009

2009 Eugene Marathon

I have a confession to make. Last year I used some of my hard eaned money to buy an elliptical machine. When I lived in Hillsboro I had used them in the gym at my apartments, as well as Bally's, and just really enjoyed it, so I bought it with confidence knowing I was not going to be one of those people. You know the ones. They buy excercise equipment with the best of intentions only to use it to hang clothes on, and then they eventually move it to the garage. Well not me. I knew that would be several hundred dollars well spent. I could get my workouts in while the kids played, in the warmth and comfort of my own home. You would think.

Well, rewind to another thing I enjoy doing: running. And several months later of having my shiny new elliptical machine sitting in my living room messing up my furniture arrangement, I still wasn't using it. Why? Because I want to run. I don't want to be all warm and comfy and burn calories while I laugh with Regis and Kelly (well, okay, actually that sounds nice). I found out that really I just wanna run. To feel the earth move beneath my feet. The wind on my face. The rain. The cold. To be able to look at the world around me and be a part of it. So that's what I've been doing, as often as the chance arises. My friend Sara and I run while her husband watches the kids. And I must say, I feel so lucky to get the chance, because otherwise I would only get to run like every other weekend when the kids are with thier dad. Thank you, Sara and Landy.

So a few months ago Sara asked me if I wanted to train for a marathon with her. Keep in mind I had not been running since I moved back to Roseburg in January 2007. And I missed it. So of course I said yes! Honestly, the thought of running a full marathon kind of makes me laugh. I have a long way to go. But I'm excited because I think I can do it. I know that to train for a full marathon would take me a year, so I figured start small. Set small goals and then work to increase them. That's where this post comes in. I'm making it official that my first race will be the Eugene Marathon, which takes place this May. That's just shy of 13 weeks away. I figured that if I want to run the half-marathon, I would need to increase my current runs by 1 mile a week. So at this point I need to decide whether I want to run the 5K Race, or the Half Marathon. I will make my decision by the end of the week before I register. I am excited, nervous, and hopeful. I also think it would be fun to get a group of people together to do this, so if you think you might be interested let me know! For more information you can check out the official Eugene Marathon website at http://www.eugenemarathon.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting NYC Daily Photo.

    Good luck on the marathon training. I wish I have your outlook on the joy running. I hate sweating! Absolutely hate it. So the only exercising I enjoyed was swimming.

    ReplyDelete