Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Holiday Activity | Advent Action Cards


Around here we are so excited, the holiday season is finally upon us.  One of the things my kiddos enjoy each Christmas is the Advent calendar I made them a few years back.  Each day they look forward to opening that box and discovering what yummy, tiny treat they get to eat!  Here's a picture of it...can't wait to fill it with treats for December:



Ingredients
This year I decided to make a new Advent calendar of sorts to add to this tradition, based off of Ali Edward's Weekend Creative Advent Action Cards idea.  To make my cards I used her Advent Boxes Brushes and Stamps set from Designer Digitals, this ivory cardstock from Bazzill Basics, Making Memories green snowflake and poinsettia ledger patterned paper from their Noel collection, and some inexpensive ribbon I picked up from Michael's. 


How To
Since I'm not a huge fan of my handwriting I used my computer to type the actions onto my Adventcards before printing them, using the CK Becky font, then printed them onto 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of cardstock.  Then I cut them into strips and ran them through my Xyron sticker maker, backed them with patterned paper, and trimmed them using my paper trimmer.  Very easy!  Then I punched a hole in the upper corner of each square and tied some ribbon for hanging to each one.  Here's a closer shot of what I ended up with as the finished project:


Activity Ideas
I thought it would be really neat to kind of gear some of the activities towards not just having fun and making memories as a family, but also doing things for others as well.  A way to show our thankfulness for all that we have by sharing those blessings with others.  Here is the list of the ideas I had for the Advent actions-- some ideas own my own, some from Ali's list, and some with the help of friends:

1. Tell a friend at school you think they’re really cool.

2. Take a special treat to a neighbor.

3. Pick a name from the giving tree. Find a gift for that person.

4. Make a small stocking. Drop it off on someone’s door as a surprise.

5. Make a card for a loved one and send it in the mail.

6. Recycle some toys to share with others.

7. Read a Christmas book together.

8. Light a candle and say a prayer for a loved one far away.

9. Take food to a local food pantry.

10. Take a trip to get the Christmas tree.

11. Go see Santa.

12. Go look at Christmas lights & drink hot cocoa.

13. Write a list of 10 things you are thankful for this year. Share with your Grandma.

14. Make Christmas cards for you classmates and teachers.

15. Find our old coats and deliver them to the local coat drive.

16. Open Christmas jammies and read The Night Before Christmas together.

17. Go to Starbucks and have a “holiday” drink with cookies

18. Write a letter to Santa.

19. Family Game Night—play a game and enjoy some treats together.

20. Decorate a gingerbread house.

21. Watch a holiday movie together.

22. Go Christmas caroling.

23. Bring a plate of goodies to your local fire or police station with a thank you note.

24. Make a bird a treat out of a pine cone, peanut butter and birdseed.

25. Read Bible passages related to the birth of Jesus.

26. Go sledding and play in the snow.

27. Decorate the Christmas tree.

28. Make an Advent wreath and learn about the true meaning of Advent.

I have a feeling that no matter who is receiving the blessings, this December will be filled with plenty of special memories and moments to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment