Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bacon Mac & Cheese


Earlier this week I made this mac & cheese for dinner...and it was exquisite!  Hands down the best macaroni and cheese I've ever had.  If you are a pasta lover and enjoy mac and cheese you might want to try this recipe!  In our house this had made the list of famous meals.


I found this recipe while browsing a site I found last week, Savory Sweet Life.  The actual title of the recipe is Bacon Mac & Cheese with Wisconsin Gruyère by Chef Michael Symon.  I would suggest checking out her post here--it's well written, details the original chef mastermind behind this recipe, and also has a link to a neat webisode he hosts featuring this dish.  The blog author Alice recommends serving this as a main course vs a side dish, and she's absolutely right...it's so delicious it deserves to take front and center.  Even though I didn't use the exact ingredients listed here (I decided last minute to make this dish and didn't want to run out to the store, so I used what I had on hand) the results were absolutely scrumptious and I will definitely make this again!! Love that I don't have to go to a restaurant to eat something so good! Here's another photo:



INGREDIENTS
  • 1 quart (4 cups) heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped (I used about a tablespoon of dried Oregano)
  • Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 pound bacon, diced, fried crisp and drained
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni or short hollow pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained, reserving 3 teaspoons pasta water
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Gruyère cheese, grated (I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese since that's what I had on hand)
  • Chopped chives for garnish (I substituted chopped green onion)
DIRECTIONS
Place cream in large saucepan with rosemary. Add salt and pepper. Bring to boil and keep at boil until reduced by half (be patient, this takes some time).  Stir in bacon and pasta and simmer until hot; add the Gruyère cheese and 3 teaspoons pasta water.  Stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve immediately.

Hopefully your family enjoys this dish as much as mine! : ) Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment